When I first came across Tim VanOrden's Running Raw project, I honestly thought the poor dude must have lost his mind. The seemingly crazy idea of running competitively while eating a strict diet of mainly raw vegs, fruits, nuts and seeds made me laugh out loud.
Fast forward a few months. I'm still grinning, but for a different reason. I've secretly tested a similar program on myself for a total of 12 weeks now:
- first a six week 50-60% raw lacto-ovo-vegetarian transition period
- followed by another six week 80-100% raw vegan 'detox' phase,
- I'm now about 7 kg (15 lb) lighter - from about 69 kg (152 lb) to 62 kg (136 lb).
- My body fat is down from about 12% to 6%.
- My BMI (Body Mass Index) has decreased from 21.1 to 19.0.
- My health feels much better than before (although I wasn't really sick before, I had some skin issues etc).
- My fitness is great in terms of endurance, however I have not tried any speedwork or racing yet.
- I've been able to cut all dairy, meat, fish, poultry, coffee, tea (except herbal tea) consumption.
- I didn't and still don't consume any soft drinks or alcoholic beverages.
- My energy levels have been pretty high all the time.
- I seem to require less sleep.
- My mind is definitely much clearer.
I've decided to continue 90-100% raw food diet until the end of this year, and if it goes well, I'll probably continue in 2009.
We Like It Raw has recently podcasted an inspiring 57-minute Tim VanOrden interview. Check it out now - this runner really knows what he is talking about!