The suspense is over. I just lost in the UTMB 2013 lottery. I was listed as refusé.
Now let's put on the positive hat. 13 reasons why this is a good thing.
- I'll have twice the chance of winning the 2014 draw.
- I have more time to train and prepare for it too.
- The points acquired are valid for two years, so I can reuse my 2012 points.
- I've dreamed of doing this race since 2007, so one more year is not such a big deal.
- Who knows the weather might be bad again in 2013?
- In that case the weather would most certainly be excellent in 2014.
- They might increase the number of required points (currently 7), which would favor runners like me who have a lot more than that.
- I'll be a more experienced trail runner in 2014, possibly also fitter and wiser.
- I won't have to race twice in Chamonix in 2013 (I've entered 80km du Mont Blanc in June).
- Trail running gear in 2014 might be a lot more advanced.
- Suunto Ambit GPS might allow me to track a long trail race like UTMB accurately by 2014.
- Some of my friends might be doing the 2014 UTMB as well.
- I can spend the money budgeted for this on something potentially more fun than plodding around the Mont Blanc massif in a weekend with thousands of ultratrailheads.