|The latest batch out of the oven.|
The simple and easy recipe of my Secret Trailplodder ChiaBars is as follows:
- about 100 grams well-soaked chia seeds (just throw your chia seeds in a bowl and add plenty of water a couple hours before)
- after the chia seeds have absorbed the water in the bowl, mix any other seeds until the consistency seems right for baking: shelled sesame or hemp or flax seeds, or sunflower seeds, whatever you have/want
- you might want to add add some salt and spices for flavoring (I use turmeric a lot for health)
- you may add some dried fruits (dates, cranberries, etc) for carbs as desired
- pour & flatten the mixture on a baking sheet and bake about 30 minutes in 200°C and then dehydrate a bit more in 50°C as necessary
- cut in pieces and store in a container in the fridge.
|I keep a few bars in the fridge for long workouts.|
The main motivation for doing this is that I was frequently told it's impossible to make bars without eggs, oils and butters or something else I felt was unnecessary. Then I discovered the amazing powers of chia seeds as featured in the book Born To Run. The rest is history. Also I thought the bars sold in stores are mostly crap and very expensive. I do buy some bars occasionally when travelling, but at home it's so easy to bake your own.